Final five recipients for Top 20 Under 40 announced
VERNON – KPMG and The Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce are proud to present the final five recipients of the Top 20 under 40.The annual Top 20 Under 40, brought to you by KPMG, Community Futures, City of Vernon-Economic Development and the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce, recognizes the next generation of leaders in the North Okanagan, those under the age of 40 years of age who are making their mark through business success and community involvement.
The recipients were selected among more than 60 nominations, and include:
- Derek Powers – Lawyer and partner at Nixon Wenger. Derek was at Canada’s oldest and largest law firm in Toronto, and since moving to Vernon, he has expanded his practice from corporate and commercial to a general solicitor’s focus. “I look forward to increasing my role in the Vernon community.” He is a member of the Kalamalka Rotary Club and has been an Enterprize Challenge judge.
- Carissa Carbonneau and Josie Teitge – Owners of Wild Sage Registered Massage Therapy. Carissa and Josie are both registered massage therapists and they opened their business in 2018. Their goal is to have a practice that makes it as easy as possible for people to take care of themselves. As part of the community, they collect food bank donations and support families in need.
- Amanda Shatzko – Artist and elected official. Amanda is known internationally as a leader in creativity, culture and the human potential, and she advises governments, corporations and educational institutions. Along with being an artist, she was recently elected a Regional District of North Okanagan director. She has served with the Arts Council of the North Okanagan and the B.C. Alliance of Arts and Culture.
- Kristina Klein – Owner of EATology/Cracked Pepper Catering. Kristina has seen her ideas blossom into reality, and she now has an expanding business and 21 employees. “I am constantly brainstorming and implementing ways on how we can improve and grow.” Giving back is also important to Kristina and she has been active with downtown Vernon events and an Upper Room Mission fundraiser.
- Kaarina Schrott – Owner of One Step Foot Care. Kaarina is considered a pioneer as a foot care nurse and, “I find the rewards come through the feelings I get each time a client finds improved functionality and mobility through my services.” She is an instructor in advanced nursing foot care at Okanagan College and she won the 2018 Small Business of the Year award.
All recipients of the Top 20 Under 40 will be featured on the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce website and they will also be honoured at a special recognition event Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at Okanagan Spirits.
“The Top 20 Under 40 is a tremendous opportunity to recognize individuals who make our community vibrant and prosperous” said Murray Smith, a partner with KPMG, which sponsors the Top 20 Under 40.
“Our region is stronger because of the recipients and all of the nominees. They operate businesses and non-profit organizations, while mentoring employees, raising families and giving back to the community ,”
For more info on the recipients, visit: www.vernonchamber.ca
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Dione Chambers, General Manager
Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce
E: email@example.com P: 250.545.0771