Building maintenance worker
The Building Maintenance Worker (BMW) reports to the Maintenance Manager and works in accordance to the mission and philosophy of Turning Points Collaborative Society. The BMW performs maintenance and repairs related to buildings, grounds and equipment, in one or more areas such as electrical, plumbing, painting, heating and grounds keeping as well as routine cleaning and service functions in the organization’s buildings and residences.
1. Establishes, monitors, and carries out preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for buildings, equipment and grounds. Ensures building and equipment meet all safety, security and fire regulations and policies. Makes recommendation for major repairs and purchases to supervisor.
2. Performs carpentry, electrical, painting, mechanical and plumbing maintenance and repairs such as repairing furniture, constructing shelves, installing switches, replacing plugs and other basic appliance repairs, applying paint and other finishes, replacing sinks and toilets and applying finishing material such as linoleum.
3. Monitors work performed by contractors, prepares estimates of labour and material costs, contacts external contractors and trades people to obtain quotes and arranges for major repairs and maintenance work.
4. Collects and removes garbage and recyclable materials and ensures the safe disposal of hazardous waste.
5. Cleans external areas such as entranceways, sidewalks and parking lots using manual and power brooms, rakes shovels and other equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow and other refuse. Performs minor gardening and lawn maintenance tasks such as mowing, weeding, pruning and watering.
6. Completes and maintains related records such as maintenance logs and security incident reports.
7. Transports equipment, furniture and supplies manually and /or using aides such as dollies and carts. Operates a motor vehicle to pick up and move goods and supplies. Arranges furniture for special events.
8. Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Competencies & Experience:
- Grade 10, plus related vocational training such as a building maintenance course.
- Two years recent experience in performing carpentry, electrical, painting, mechanical and plumbing maintenance and repairs. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 & Basic CPR certification
- Valid Driver License
- Demonstrated ability to establish, monitor and carry out preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for buildings, equipment and grounds.
- Ability to ensure building and equipment meet Occupational Health and Safety Standards.
- Managing Hostile Interactions, Non Violent Crisis Intervention & Naloxone Training an asset.
- ability to effectively respond to crisis situations
- philosophical belief in the mission, mandate and values of the organization
- understanding the social and economic barriers of TPCS clients
- ability to work independently and within a team environment
- verbal and written communication skills
- ability to maintain detailed and accurate records.
- computer skills such as Microsoft word; excel.
Part-time hours: 24 per week
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $20.52-$23.90 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- 8 hour shift
- Building Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Drivers License (Required)