The Chamber, incorporated in 1897 as the Vernon Board of Trade, was established to meet the ever increasing demands for business and travel information that came with the arrival of the new railroad. The 44 charter members of Vernon’s senior business organization elected George A. Henderson as their first president.
The Vernon Board of Trade registered a name change in 1961 to the Vernon Chamber of Commerce when RD. Seaton was President. Later, the name was unofficially changed to the “Vernon & District Chamber of Commerce”. In 1990, application was made to change the name a third time to Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce, which better reflects the Chamber’s changing and expanding mandate as the "Influential Voice of Business” for the Greater Vernon area. Today the Chamber has over 720 individual and business members - comprising the very best that Greater Vernon has to offer.